One of the major engineering feats of the early 19th Century the Bell Rock Lighthouse was designed by noted lighthouse engineer Robert Stevenson (1772 – 1850) and came into service in 1811. Formerly also called the Inch Cape, the reef came to be known as the Bell Rock when an Abbot of Arbroath set up a bell here to warn sailors of the danger. Southey’s famous Ballad of the Inchcape Rock tells how Sir Ralph the Rover cut down the bell and a year later perished when his ship hit the same rock.
Telephone number provided is for the Arbroath harbourmaster.
(Note: location of the pin on Google Map is a guide only)