This route takes you towards the foothills of the Angus Glens.
Starting at Montrose Sports Centre head north for 4km/2.5m towards Hillside. After 6km/4m, follow the A937 to Marykirk. Continue through Marykirk and after 1.5km/1m, turn left and go under the rail bridge. After 2.5km/1.5m, cross the A90 (taking care).
At the junction, after 2km/1.25m, turn right. After a further 2km/1.25m, go straight on at the crossroads onto the B9120. At the T junction, 3.5km/2m on, turn right onto the B966 and take the ﬁrst left at Woodhead. After 2km/1m, turn left onto the B974 to Fettercairn. 4km/2.5m on, take the second exit at the roundabout and go through the arch to Edzell B966.
You will reach Edzell after 9km/5.5m. After 3km/2m, turn right at the café to Menmuir and then turn left at the T junction to Inchbare. Turn right after 1km/0.5m and then after a further 5km/3m, turn left at T junction. You will reach Brechin after 2km/1m. Turn left at the roundabout onto the B966 to Aberdeen. After 2.5km/1.5m, continue through Trinity and turn right. After 3km/2m, turn right at the junction and then take an immediate left at the signpost for Montrose. After 3km/2m, turn right at the T junction. You will reach Hillside after 7km/4.5m. 4km/2.5m on, turn right at the T junction and retrace your route from Hillside to the Sports Centre following the A937.
We recommend the following safety advice to cyclists:
- Check out in advance that the route, which you intend to take, is suitable for the cycling skills of you and your group.
- Take special care when cycling downhill.
- Match your speed to the road surface and your cycling skills and experience.
- Make sure your bicycle is properly maintained and in a safe condition for your cycling holiday.
- In remote areas carry warm waterproof clothing, energy food, a lamp, map and compass.
- Carry a tool kit and puncture repair facilities.
- Do make sure you have adequate insurance cover.