How well do you know Angus?
Test your local knowledge with our second Visit Angus quiz.
Answers can be found at the bottom of the page.
1. Arbroath Smokies are made using what kind of fish?
2. James Chalmers, originator of the adhesive postage stamp, was born in which Angus town?
3. Who won the Open Championship when it was last played at Carnoustie in 2018?
4. Where in Angus can you visit a real working water mill?
5. Famous explorer Captain Scott spent months in a cottage in the Angus Glens planning his 1910 expedition to the South Pole. Which glen was the cottage located in?
6. The Lindsay family once occupied which stunning castle in Angus?
7. The Harley Davidson Motor Company was founded by the Davidson family who once lived in Angus. Where can you find the restored cottage once occupied by William C Davidson?
8. Hospitalfield in Arbroath is a stunning Arts & Crafts country house left in trust in 1890 to support artists. What was its previous use?
9. Where in Angus can you see the Queen’s Well monument – a crown shaped monument built in honour of Queen Victoria?
10. Where is Angus was the site of Britain’s first operational military airfield?
11. Montrose is proud to have once been home to a famous artist and sculptor who left many legacies to the town, including a studio of his works. What was his name?
12. How many golf courses are there in Angus?
13. Evidence suggests that Angus was hit by a tsunami in 6100 BC. Where did the tsunami hit?
14. On the Angus coastline, you’ll find a rock formation which has been shaped by the elements and now closely resembles a certain majestic animal. What animal is it, and where is the rock?
15. Where in Angus can you walk across the ‘Shakin’ Brig’?
16. Can you name three of the beautiful lochs here in Angus?
17. Which Angus town was recognised as an honourary Quidditch Town in Quidditch Through The Ages Illustrated Edition, by J.K Rowling?
18. What do you call the famous meat pasty made in Forfar?
19. Where would you find the ‘Round O’, which was originally lit up at night as a beacon for mariners?
20. What kind of dolphins can you see off the coast of Angus?
3. Francesco Molinari
4. Barry, Carnoustie
5. Glen Prosen
6. Edzell Castle
7. Aberlemno village
8. A hospital to support Arbroath Abbey
9. Glen Esk
11. William Lamb
12. 17 – Arbroath, Brechin, Carnoustie (x3), Edzell (x2), Forfar, Kingennie, Kirriemuir, Monifieth (x2), Montrose (x2), Panmure and Piperdam (x2).
13. Montrose Basin
14. Elephant Rock in Montrose
16. Loch of Kinnordy, Balgavies Loch, Forfar Loch, Loch Brandy, Loch Lee, Rescobie Loch, Loch Esk, Loch of Lintrathen
18. Forfar Bridie
19. Arbroath Abbey
20. Bottlenose dolphins