Former Sheriff Courthouse
Saturday 10 & Sunday 11 September
11am to 4pm
The former Sheriff Courthouse is located in what can best be described as Arbroath’s Civic Quarter, since the Courthouse was formerly the Townhouse and is linked to the former Guild Hall. Both buildings have significant streetscape presence. The town’s Mercat Cross is positioned on the street immediately outside the building. The B-listed Townhouse, designed by Montrose architect David Logan, was constructed in 1806-08 in the Classical Revival style.
The C-listed Guild Hall was designed by William Smith, a local architect, and rebuilt after a fire in 1881 in the Renaissance style. A relief sculpted panel with the Guildry Incorporation’s crest is centrally located at second floor level. Both buildings have more than two hundred years of “civic activity” all pertinent to the heritage of the town itself.
Visit the former Sheriff Courthouse and Guild Hall to enjoy a guided tour and find out more about the history of the buildings. A powerpoint presentation will also feature tracking the development proposals created by the Arbroath Courthouse Community Trust to develop the buildings into a community owned & run facility. Additional programme related activities may be available on both days.
Booking is not required.