This is a repeating eventseptember 14, 2019 11:00 am
The monument on Balmashanner Hill, known locally as “Bummie”, was built in 1920/1. A plaque above the entrance reads 'Their name liveth for evermore. Erected in Memory of the men
The monument on Balmashanner Hill, known locally as “Bummie”, was built in 1920/1. A plaque above the entrance reads ‘Their name liveth for evermore. Erected in Memory of the men of Forfar and District who fell in the Great War 1914-18’. There’s also a roll call plaque on the wall inside. The building was dedicated by Queen Mary on the 11th September, 1921 and comprises a square tower, with battlements and turret, built from local sandstone. It is a listed building, designed by T R Soutar, architect and constructed by Alexander Adamson and David Stewart.
On a clear day there are excellent views over Forfar, surrounding farmland, and the Valley of Strathmore to the Braes of Angus beyond. Nearby stands an indicator which gives the names and heights of the nearby hills and mountains.
Access the site on foot or by bicycle on good paths. Access to the viewing area at the top of the tower is via steep steps inside. Visitors may have to queue at busy times. No facilities. Bring a picnic and enjoy the views, bench seating nearby.
For more information, call 01307 492054 or email email@example.com.
This event is part of Doors Open Days 2019.
(Sunday) 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Balmashanner War Memorial
Balmashanner Hill, Forfar, DD8 1NT