- This event has passed.
Echo in the Dark: Bat Event at Arbroath Library
12 April 2022, 7:15 pm - 8:45 pm
Are you interested in learning more about bats?
Would you like how to learn to us a bat detector?
Can you contribute your bat echolocation calls to artist Hanna Tuulikki’s database?
Join us at the as we explore the grounds around Arbroath Library on Tuesday 12 April at 7.15pm to learn more.
Join Hospitalfield and Dr. David Martin at this bat walk event. At this event you will learn more about bats, how to watch and record them and view the active population of bats that live in Angus’ towns.
This event is part of Hospitalfield’s programme. For the development of her new work, artist Hanna Tuulikki is tuning into more-than-human rhythms and frequencies, to explore the interconnections of bat echolocation and dance music as a model for ecological coexistence. She is gathering an archive of recordings to be made into a public library of sounds which contribute to a new piece of music that will feature in a performance event in September this year at Hospitalfield, Arbroath. Hanna is currently looking for recordings of UK bat species made in a variety of ways, from heterodyne to time expansion and direct sampling.
Dr David Martin is a lecturer in Life Sciences at the University of Dundee and chair of Tayside Bat Group. He has a strong interest in technology for wildlife monitoring and in rewilding.
Hanna Tuulikki, is an artist, composer and performer based in Glasgow. Her practice spans performance, film and multi-channel audio-visual installation, blending together vocal music, choreography, costume and drawing. Her multi-disciplinary projects investigate the ways in which the body communicates beyond and before words, to tell stories through imitation, vocalisation and gesture. Often exploring music and movement traditions across cultures, she is particularly interested in how bodily relationships and folk histories are encoded within specific environments and places.
- Please wear warm and or waterproof clothing, appropriate footwear for muddy or uneven ground and a torch if you have one.
- Meet at the front entrance to Arbroath Library, Hill Terrace, Arbroath, DD11 1AH.
- Equipment and places are limited, please sign up early to avoid disappointment. All ages welcome to attend and please bring a torch and dress for the weather as the ground can be wet and muddy.
- More information on Hanna Tuulikki’s commission here https://hospitalfield.org.uk/visit/commissions/hanna-tuulikki/
- The bat recording lending library will be available to hire equipment from Hospitalfield from Friday 1 April to Tuesday 31 May 2022. Subject to details please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01241 656 124 for more information.
- By submitting your recording to Echo In The Dark, you are providing the artist Hanna Tuulikki permissions to use your recording as part of the development and outcomes of the public art work Echo In The Dark.
How to Book
Book here or in person at the library.