Starting at the Aboukir Hotel, follow the Arbroath Road for 0.6km/0.4m and turn left onto Westhaven Road. At the crossroads, after 0.8km/0.5m, go straight on. After 1km/0.6m, turn right at the T junction to Arbroath onto the A930. At the crossroads, after 1km/0.6m, go straight onto the B9128.
After 7.5km/4.7m, turn left at the crossroads signposted towards Inverarity on the B9127. After 1.8km/1.1m, continue straight on towards Inverarity. After 2.7km/1.7m in Whigstreet, turn right at the crossroads junction to Forfar. After 4km/2.5m, at the T junction, turn left at the sign for Forfar. Turn right at next sign for Caldhame and Forfar, 1km/0.6m on.
After 3.5km/2.2m, at the T junction, turn right into St James Road. Continue for 200 metres and at the mini roundabout, take the second exit into Coutties Wynd. At the T junction, turn left onto East High Street. Go straight on at the traffic lights and after 1km/0.6m, turn left into Westﬁeld Loan. Continue up Westﬁeld Loan and turn right at the T junction onto Dundee Road.
After 1.8km/1.1m, turn left at Lochlands Garden Centre at the sign for Lour. At the sharp left bend, turn right onto cycle path down to the dual carriageway. Continue on cycle path next to the dual carriageway and then bear left onto the B9127 to Whigstreet. After 7km/4.5m, at the crossroads, turn right at the sign for Wellbank. Go straight on at the crossroads after 2.7km/1.7m. After 2.4km/1.5m, turn right at the T junction by East Skichen Farm. Turn left at the T junction after 2.5km/1.6m. Turn right at the crossroads after 2km/1.2m at the sign for Carnoustie onto the B9128. Follow the B9128 for 7.5km/4.7m back to the Aboukir Hotel.
We recommend the following safety advice to cyclists:
- Check out in advance that the route, which you intend to take, is suitable for the cycling skills of you and your group.
- Take special care when cycling downhill.
- Match your speed to the road surface and your cycling skills and experience.
- Make sure your bicycle is properly maintained and in a safe condition for your cycling holiday.
- In remote areas carry warm waterproof clothing, energy food, a lamp, map and compass.
- Carry a tool kit and puncture repair facilities.
- Do make sure you have adequate insurance cover.