Montrose Museum and Art Gallery
In 1841, Montrose Natural History and Antiquarian Society realised that its lodgings in one of the town's schools was fast being outgrown by its collections of geology, natural history, ethnography, fine art and the hundreds of other items typical of a Victorian museum. A fund was begun and, subsequently, Montrose Museum opened in 1842, making it one of the first purpose-built museums in Scotland.
The museum was designed to look like a true temple of learning, with Ionic columns on either side of the doorway and MUSEUM written above the lintel, in elegant gold relief. Inside the beautiful neo-classical building, a series of displays were housed in the spacious atrium, mezzanine and galleries.
Today, the museum tells the story of Montrose and its people, from the earliest archaeological finds to the gallant Marquis of Montrose and the Jacobite uprisings, to the harbour and maritime trade.
The art gallery, within Montrose Museum, hosts changing exhibitions from the community and from Angus Council's collections of paintings and sculptures.
The museum presents series of afternoon talks, children's activities and occasional evening events.
Disabled access is limited.